Mission & Impact
The Club’s mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua serves girls and boys between the ages of 5 and 18, providing them with the opportunities and services that they need to succeed in life.
The Boys & Girls Club provides:
- A safe place to learn and grow
- Ongoing relationships with caring, adult professionals
- Life-enhancing programs and character-developing experiences
- Hope and opportunity
The Club is committed to developing our community’s youth by instilling a sense of:
Making an Impact
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua participated in an impact study with Boys & Girls Clubs of America to identify the key elements that assure positive developmental experiences for Club youth. The study showed that Club members are statistically more likely to give positive or “pro-social” responses to questions about drug use, attitudes toward school, conflict resolution, etc. than non-Club members. In other words, the Club’s youth development programs have a positive impact on children.
Another finding is that the level of impact a Club has on its young people depends on the degree to which the Club implements five key elements in its operations:
- A safe, positive environment: Club staff, facilities, program offerings and age-appropriate settings produce continuity, predictability and a sense of physical and emotional safety for members. The Club sets clear boundaries and rules that provide structure for activities, define acceptable behaviors and consequences for inappropriate behavior and are consistently enforced by staff.
- Fun: Clubs generate happiness, fun and enjoyment for members. Members develop a strong sense of belonging through personal connections they establish with staff and their peers. Young people have the sense that the Club is theirs when staff members make the Club feel like home, fostering a family atmosphere.
- Supportive relationships: Club youth develop meaningful relationships with peers and adults. Staff members actively cultivate and maintain such relationships to ensure that every member feels connected to one or more adults and can forge friendships with peers. Staff members demonstrate warmth, closeness, caring, appreciation, acceptance and proper guidance in their ongoing interactions with members.
- Opportunities and expectations: Club members acquire physical, social, technological, artistic and like skills. Clubs expect members to develop a moral character that helps them know right from wrong and behave ethically. Club staff help members prepare daily for school establish better study habits and pursue a post-secondary education. Staff members consistently communicate and reinforce high expectations of youth.
- Recognition: Clubs use many methods to recognize and affirm young people’s intrinsic worth and accomplishments. Staff members encourage youth and provide positive reinforcement as they make improvements and experience successes. The Club prominently showcases young people’s achievements. Year-round rewards, incentives and awards validate member accomplishments.
Since 1971, the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua has been helping our youth to avoid risky behaviors, stay in school, and succeed in life. During the summer months, camp programs and the One Positive Place drop-in program offer youth a place to learn, grow, and prosper. Our Club locations are not just hang-outs, but places where young people can learn, do homework, utilize technology, express themselves through the arts, play, develop social skills, participate in athletics, give back to the community and engage in meaningful conversations with caring adults.
The hours between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. are critical in the lives of kids. Increasingly, they are out of school and alone at home or on the streets of Nashua where they are left to find their own forms of recreation and companionship. The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua provides recreation and companionship and more – a whole world of games and activities geared to help kids grow into caring and responsible adults.
The Youth We Serve
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua offers more than 3,400 kids each year our programs, activities, and services. Members pay nominal membership fees per year to use our facilities and participate in our programs. The Club provides our members a place where they can be themselves while participating in meaningful and valuable programs.
How are Our Programs funded?
Funded Contributions from individuals, foundations, corporations, local, state, and federal grants, as well as the United Way fund the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua. Membership fees are only 1% of our annual operating budget.
Why We Are Unique
It Is Guidance Oriented.
A Boys & Girls Club emphasizes values in the relationship members have with each other and with their adult leaders. It helps boys and girls make appropriate and satisfying choices in their physical, educational, personal, social, emotional, vocational, and spiritual lives.
It Is For Boys and Girls.
Being a member of a Boys & Girls Club satisfies the desire of boys and girls to have a “club” of their own.
It Has Full-time Professional Leadership.
The trained, professional, caring staff is supplemented by part-time staff and volunteers dedicated to providing exceptional services and opportunities for our youth.
It Requires No Proof of Good Character.
Staff reinforce good character traits, encourage positive attitudes, and habits.
It Assures That All Girls and Boys Can Afford to Belong.
Membership dues are kept low at $35 per year so that all girls and boys can afford to belong and even the least interested will not be deterred from joining.
It Is For All Boys and Girls.
Girls and boys of all races, religions and ethnic cultures are welcome to join and learn from each other. The Club is non sectarian.
It Is Building Centered.
Activities are carried on in the warm, friendly atmosphere of a building especially designed to conduct youth development programs.
It Has an Open Door Policy.
The Club is open to all members at any time during its hours of operation.
It Has a Varied and Diversified Program
Programming is age appropriate and recognizes and responds to the collective and individual needs of boys and girls.